Check out application details, success stories and videos on the Rhodes Scholarship page in Storify!
What is a Rhodes Scholarship?
- Eleven Rhodes Scholarships are awarded to Canadians each fall (two in Ontario)
- Winners study at Oxford University in England for 2 or 3 years
- More information is available in the slide deck from the Rhodes Scholarship Info Webinar (PDF)
What is the value of the scholarship?
- University application fee
- Tuition and fees at Oxford University are covered for 2 or 3 years of study
- One economy class airfare to Oxford at the start and conclusion of the scholarship
- Living expenses are included (14,276 U.K. pounds/year). Value depends on residential college attended.
- Depending on selections, the award is worth at least $50,000 per year
McMaster students are invited to apply. Applicants must be:
- Have a cumulative average of at least 10.5
- Except for Medicine students, have received an undergraduate degree prior to taking up the scholarship
- Enrolled in final year of study
- Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident in Canada
- Be between the ages of 18 and 24 years
Basis of Selection
The following qualities are considered in selecting a Rhodes Scholar:
- Literary and scholastic attainment
- Fondness and success in outdoor sports
- Truthfulness and courage
- Devotion to duty
- Sympathy for and protection of the weak
- Unselfishness and fellowship
- Exhibition of moral force of character
- Instincts to lead and take an interest in ones’s contemporaries
- Character and intellect
- Financial need does not receive special consideration
- The McMaster application for Institutional Endorsement is available by clicking on ‘Apply for Financial Aid’ in the Mosaic Student Center starting mid-August
- Deadline to apply for Institutional Endorsement is Sept. 11
- A McMaster selection committee reviews applications and selects student(s) eligible for endorsement
- Students eligible for Institutional Endorsement will receive an authorization code to submit the Rhodes Scholarship application online
- The McMaster President will write a letter of endorsement for the eligible applicant(s)
How to Apply for the Rhodes Scholarship
- Submit an application online via the Rhodes Scholarship website
- Deadline to apply is late October
- Required Documentation: official birth certificate, medical certificate, an unmounted head and shoulders photograph, three additional letters of reference
- Letters of Reference: a minimum of three of the six required letters should be from persons under whom the applicant has studied at university
Questions? – email firstname.lastname@example.org
More information is available via Storify!