What types of graduand scholarships are available?
- Monetary scholarships
- Non-monetary scholarships such as medals
- Some graduand scholarships require an application; and
- other graduand scholarships are automatically determined by a University selection committee
What are the minimum eligibility requirements for graduand scholarships?
- A minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 8.0; and
- Terms & Conditions as outlined in the Undergraduate Calendar
- Students graduating at the fall convocation are eligible to apply for awards available during the current academic year
Where can I find award information to assist in completing an application for medical and/or professional school?
- Scholarship Terms & Conditions and University statistics are available to help you complete your application
When are the graduand scholarships awarded?
- Graduand Scholarships are granted in May and are provided exclusively for graduating students qualifying on the basis of achievement in their first baccalaureate degree program
- Scholarship payments are deposited to the student account by the end of May
How to Apply
How do I apply for scholarships?
- Click on ‘Apply for Financial Aid’ in the Mosaic Student Centre
- Complete the personal profile once per year
- Scholarships are located under the Aid by Application tab
- Expand headings to view award applications and requirements
When do I apply?
- Open application dates and deadlines are available under ‘Important Dates’
How do undergraduate students who graduated at the fall convocation apply for scholarships?
- Students with access to Mosaic will follow the application instructions above
- No Mosaic Access? Paper applications for each specific award are available by request
- Review the list of scholarships for graduating students
- Email email@example.com to request the application form(s)
- Paper Application Deadline: March 31, 2018
How do I check my application status?
- Click on ‘View Financial Aid Applications’ in the Mosaic Student Center
- Click on ‘View Financial Aid Awards’ to view bursaries and scholarships granted each year
The John R. McCarthy Scholarship
Established in 1987 by John R. McCarthy LL.D. (class of ’65), former Deputy Minister of University Affairs and Deputy Minister of Education for the Province of Ontario. To be awarded to a student graduating from a program in Arts & Science, Humanities, Science, or Social Sciences who enroll in the Faculty of Education of an Ontario university in the academic year immediately following graduation. The student selected will have made a contribution to the life of the university by displaying leadership in student government or student affairs and leadership and sportsmanship in athletic endeavors.
The Bert MacKinnon Memorial Scholarship
Established in 1996 in memory of Bert MacKinnon, B.A. (Class of ’43), LL.D (Class of ’77), first Associate Chief Justice of Ontario (1978 to 1986). One scholarship to be awarded to a graduating student who enrolls in a Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor or equivalent degree program in the academic year immediately following graduation. The student selected will have demonstrated high academic achievement and leadership in extracurricular activities.
How do I receive my scholarship funding?
- Scholarship payments are deposited to McMaster student accounts
- Refund cheques or direct deposit payments are issued if McMaster fees are paid in full or the value of the scholarship exceeds the balance of the fees owing
- Recipients confirmed and payment dates are posted under ‘Important Dates’
How do I write a thank you letter?
- Learn to write a thank you letter to express your gratitude to McMaster donors