What is the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD)?
Review the “permanent disability” definition on the Ontario site.
Who is eligible for BSWD?
Full-time and part-time students who:
- Self-identify as having a permanent or temporary disability on the OSAP application,
- Have disability-related educational costs for services or equipment that are not covered by another agency or service, and
- Require these services/equipment to participate in post-secondary studies
- Have discussed accommodations with Student Accessibility Services
Proof of Permanent Disability
What is a permanent disability?
Hand-in one of the following documents to verify your status as a student with a permanent disability:
- A completed OSAP Verification of Permanent Disability form
- A medical certificate recently issued that states the following:
- impact of disability on post-secondary studies
- permanence of condition
- physician’s signature and contact information
- A psycho-educational assessment issued in the last 5 years or after 18 years of age
Why self-identify as a student with a permanent disability with OSAP?
- You can apply for OSAP for Full-Time Students at a 40% course load
- You can choose between OSAP for Full-Time Students or OSAP for Part-Time Students with a 40-59% course load
- You could receive the Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities
- You may be considered for the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) if accommodations are needed
How to Apply
- Apply for OSAP for Full-Time Students or OSAP for Part-Time Students and self-identify as a student with a permanent disability
- Submit your proof of permanent disability to SFAS
- Meet with Student Accessibility Services (SAS) to discuss accommodations and complete the BSWD application
- SAS sends the BSWD application to SFAS
- Application is processed if eligible
- Bursary funding is credited to the McMaster student account
- Student Accounts pays the BSWD funding via cheque or direct deposit (depending on student’s preference in Mosaic)
- Student purchases equipment or services and submits receipts to SFAS by deadline
You need to do the following:
- Submit proof of permanent disability to SFAS
- Update your mailing address on Mosaic
- Enroll for direct-deposit to have the bursary funding deposited in your bank account
- Purchase all approved items/services once the bursary is received
- Submit receipts to SFAS verifying the payment of all items within 30 days (all ongoing services by the end of the term)
- Repay any unused portion of the BSWD to SFAS