McMaster University encourages award recipients to take the time to express appreciation to your award donor(s), by writing a personal thank you letter. Your letter is important – the individuals and organizations who fund student awards truly appreciate hearing from student recipients about your scholastic accomplishments, your goals, and your plans for the future.
By submitting your thank you letter, you are authorizing your name and your award name, as well as any quotes from your letter, to be used in future McMaster stewardship/donor relations materials and university communications. You are acknowledging that your letter may be edited before delivery to a donor, and you are releasing McMaster University from any responsibility regarding how a donor may choose to use or publish your letter. If you choose to include your address, phone number and/or e-mail address, you should be aware that McMaster will have no control over the donor’s use of this information.
Your letter should include:
- Addressed to ‘Dear Donor’
- Thank the donor for their generosity, mention the name of the award, and tell them how it has helped you
- Provide information about yourself: why you chose McMaster University, your year and program of study
- Mention your scholastic accomplishments, leadership qualities, volunteering, goals and future plans
- End the letter by sincerely thanking the donor again
- Proofread for spelling and grammatical errors
- Your hand-written signature, with your name printed below
Upload your letter:
McMaster’s Virtual Dropbox “MacDrive” is a customized McMaster solution, similar to DropBox. It allows students to easily and securely submit their donor thank you letter.
How to Upload Documents to MacDrive
- Write your thank you letter. File name: Student Name_Award Name.doc
- Save your document as a PDF or Word document.
- Submit the document to MacDrive.
- Select ‘Add Files’, and then browse for your thank you letter document.
- Select the file and click OK. A successful upload has an ‘uploaded’ notification and green check mark displayed on screen.
- Please do not upload photos.
- Only upload the document once.
- Need confirmation the upload was successful? email University Advancement