Part-Time OSAP FAQs

Can I receive a MAPS bursary and OSAP for Part-Time Students?

No. Students who are not eligible for Part-Time OSAP can apply for the MAPS Bursary. Students cannot receive funding from both programs at the same time.

How do I calculate a part-time course load?

To be eligible for Part-Time OSAP, your course load must be 20-59% per term.

For the minimum 20% course load, take the total # of units for the full-time course load for the fall and winter terms, divide by 2, then multiple that number by 0.2 (20%) – total # of units /2 x 0.2 = # of units per term.

Example: Humanities, Year 1 (full course load: 30 units)

20% course load: 30 units / 2 x 0.2 = 3 units per term (minimum)

59% course load: 30 units / 2 x 0.59 = 8.85 units per term (maximum)

Do my previous full-time OSAP loans remain in interest-free status if I receive part-time OSAP?

The full-time OSAP loans will remain in interest-free status as long as the student returns to full-time studies within six months of their last full-time study period end date.

Should students with permanent disabilities apply for full-time or part-time OSAP?

Students with permanent disabilities, who are taking more than 40% and less than 60% of a full course load in each term have a choice of applying for OSAP for Part-Time Students or OSAP for Full-Time Students. It is recommended that students speak with a Student Loans Officer in SFAS for help deciding which program meets their financial needs.

Can I get the Canada Study Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PD) if I receive OSAP for Part-Time Students?

Students are eligible for the CSG-PD up to the maximum amount of $2,000 per academic year. If you did not receive the maximum amount through the full-time OSAP program for a previous term in the current academic year, you may still be eligible for more CSG-PD funding through the Part-Time OSAP program.

What does ‘previously negotiated a loan’ mean?

You have a ‘previously negotiated loan’ if you have received a student government loan (not grant) through full-time or part-time OSAP in the past.

Can I receive part-time and full-time OSAP in an academic year?

Depending on course load, students can apply for either full-time or part-time OSAP on a term-by-term basis. For example, Part-Time OSAP for Fall, Full-Time OSAP for Winter, Part-Time for Spring/Summer.

What happens if I add or drop a course?

If you add or drop a course before you receive your part-time funding, you are no longer eligible to receive that funding as your course load information and assessment are no longer accurate. If you drop a course after you have already received your part-time funding, then you will need to self-fund for one semester or until you are eligible again for additional part-time funding.

Will a deferred exam impact my part-time OSAP?

Sometimes a failing grade can be posted on Mosaic when there is an approved deferred exam. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that grades/deferrals are presented accurately in Mosaic and inform SFAS of any deferred exams scheduled. During the spring/summer term, one failure in the spring term can easy result in being ineligible for OSAP in the summer term.


What’s New!


Course load calculator: Not sure about your course load percentage for OSAP? Check out our new guide on how to calculate it! Course load guide (non-Engineering). Engineering course load guide.

Scholarship applications are OPEN: Don’t miss out on this easy money! There are awards for all faculties and programs, all undergrad years and both academic AND community work. Apply in Mosaic by clicking the “Apply for Aid and Awards” tile. Find scholarships under the “Aid By Application” tab. More info on scholarships.  


Quick Links

Apply for OSAP

Register with NSLSC

Apply for McMaster AID



Important Dates

Contact Us

Mac’s Money Centre